RIM and Nokia Kicks Apple’s Ass Following Their iFailure With The iPhone 4

Jul 17, 2010 by

Apple, in response to iPhone 4 reception issues, held an exclusive press conference yesterday to announce their plans to fix the iPhone 4.
In various places over the Internet, people were poking fun at Steve Jobs statement stating that only 0.55% of users called about the issues. The bloggers an tweeters and others responded by saying something close to this: “that’s because the other 99.45% got their calls dropped!”

Obviously, Steve Jobs did what Apple usually does for damage control – drag everybody down with them. Steve Jobs, holding some of the competitors’ phones, demonstrated the so called “Death Grip” could occur on any phone. In less than 24 hours, RIM and Nokia responded with their statements slamming Apple in the face.

The first formal statement is from RIM.

Apple’s attempt to draw RIM into Apple’s self-made debacle is unacceptable. Apple’s claims about RIM products appear to be deliberate attempts to distort the public’s understanding of an antenna design issue and to deflect attention from Apple’s difficult situation. RIM is a global leader in antenna design and has been successfully designing industry-leading wireless data products with efficient and effective radio performance for over 20 years. During that time, RIM has avoided designs like the one Apple used in the iPhone 4 and instead has used innovative designs which reduce the risk for dropped calls, especially in areas of lower coverage. One thing is for certain, RIM’s customers don’t need to use a case for their BlackBerry smartphone to maintain proper connectivity. Apple clearly made certain design decisions and it should take responsibility for these decisions rather than trying to draw RIM and others into a situation that relates specifically to Apple.

And not too long after, Nokia released a statement addressing the conference as well.

Antenna design is a complex subject and has been a core competence at Nokia for decades, across hundreds of phone models. Nokia was the pioneer in internal antennas; the Nokia 8810, launched in 1998, was the first commercial phone with this feature. Nokia has invested thousands of man hours in studying human behavior, including how people hold their phones for calls, music playing, web browsing and so on. As you would expect from a company focused on connecting people, we prioritize antenna performance over physical design if they are ever in conflict. In general, antenna performance of a mobile device/phone may be affected with a tight grip, depending on how the device is held. That’s why Nokia designs our phones to ensure acceptable performance in all real life cases, for example when the phone is held in either hand. Nokia has invested thousands of man hours in studying how people hold their phones and allows for this in designs, for example by having antennas both at the top and bottom of the phone and by careful selection of materials and their use in the mechanical design.

What do you think about this problem? Who is to blame? Is Apple addressing the problem as they should? Tweet us or comment with your opinions.

Related Posts

Tags

Share This